- Different departments are responsible for different aspects of compliance. The Rice University Compliance Matrix is a helpful resource in this regard.
- For more information on Title IX Requirements (SaVE - Sexual Violence Elimination Act) visit http://safe.rice.edu/ContactUs/
- Specific questions about compliance can be directed to the Rice Compliance Office.
- Texas Personal Information Data Privacy Notification and Encryption Law: Business and Commerce Code Chapter 521
- FTC Red Flags Rule - The Rice University Identity Theft Prevention Program was developed using the guidance provided by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) “Red Flags Rule,” found in 16 C.F.R. 681.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) – Student records are covered by the requirements of this act. Specifics about FERPA at Rice can be found here.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) – Describes protections for health information.
- Gramm Leach Bliley Act (GLBA) – Requires financial institutions to protect nonpublic personal information.
- EU General Data Protection Regulation provides protection of personal data from the European Union. Rice guidance on compliance can be found here, and information from the EU can be found here.
- Payment Credit Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) – Personal credit card information is covered by these data security standards and apply to anyone who is a merchant or handles credit card and debit card transactions. Information about taking credit cards at Rice can be found here.
Data Security is everyone’s responsibility.